How much will we remember in heaven?

Do you ever wonder how much, if anything, you will remember in heaven after the rapture or after resurrection through death? I do. I have unsaved family members and unsaved friends. If I am happy worshiping Him in glory, will I also not cry in despair because of the knowledge of eternal torment of my loved ones?

Yet Isaiah 65:17 tells us, “For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.” I would hate to forget His glorious creation and His many miracles and works!

Gotquestions.org deals with the issue by saying that "some interpret Isaiah 65:17 as saying that we will have no memory of our earthly lives when we are in heaven. However, one verse earlier in Isaiah 65:16, the Bible says, “For the past troubles will be forgotten and hidden from my eyes.” It is likely only our “past troubles” that will be forgotten – not all of our memories. Our memories will be cleansed, redeemed, healed, and restored – not erased."

Does that mean God will erase the memory and knowledge of sin from our minds? Will the memories that will be cleansed will be the ones that involve only sin, pain, and sadness? Revelation 21:4 declares, “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

Further, the book of Revelation says that in heaven we will sing the song of the Lamb and of Moses (Revelation 15:3), which is a song about past history. So if we are going to sing about the great works of God in history we will be having memories of them. It appears we will not forget everything.

I do not know for sure. But one thing I DO know: God is perfect and He is righteous, always doing the right thing. I believe it highly likely we will forget and remember things in accord with what will maximize our enjoyment of God. If remembering something enhances our worship of Him, He will allow us to remember it. If it would hinder our worship of Him, He will allow us to forget it.

What do you think?


Comments

  1. yeah,true..will i be able to remember my favourite singers? because some of them are dead..and i want to meet them..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be able to remember All of the Fun Video games I played as a little kid, I want to remember the Great songs from when I was a kid, Maybe not the bad lyrics, But the tune of the song. I want to keep that forever. That was my life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't want to lose my memory aleast not the one's of my family and friends I'm OK with taking away all the sin and pain and evil...... Away forever

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment