Children of the King

Jesus is everywhere in my life. He is in my prayers. He is in my studies. He is in the breeze that I see passing by. He is in the faces of believers I meet. But sometimes He arrives in unexpected ways, and in unexpected moments.

I work with children. Now, I see Jesus in children every day, all the time. I see Jesus most often in children, above and beyond anywhere else. But some days His sheltering wing is dramatically present.

I was strolling the elementary school playground, on duty, with all the kindergarten children playing outside at recess. In North Georgia at this time of year the weather is pleasant, warm, dry, and sunny. It was about 73 degrees with a light breeze under a warm golden sun. A boy was roaming the edge of the playground, a little too close to the edge of the hill for my comfort, so I went over. A little girl who always tags along by my side trotted along with me. I got to the boy and asked what he was doing, and he said just walking. Then he spotted a milkweed dandelion and bent over to pluck it.

"Look!" he exclaimed. His blue eyes and light sprinkling of freckles sparkled in the sun as he turned upward to look at me. He held the precious flower aloft and laughed. The girl laughed too. I said, "Blow on it."

He did, and the milkweeds scattered like tiny snowflakes, drifting back onto his shoulders. He laughed with delight, and blew again.

"Can I try?" the girl asked.
"Sure," the boy said.

Without hesitation he held it out to her, his entire arm extended. She grasped the tiny flower, and blew on the milkweed too and they both laughed together, the seeds drifting around them. I felt as if they were captured in a snow globe, the bubble of this moment in its warm, golden perfection and their laughter as the white seeds whirled around.

It felt nice, but the spiritual impact didn't come until late that night until I had an opportunity to become quiet and commune with my Savior. He impressed on me the beauty of that moment again, but in slow motion. Golden creation. Pure joy. Pure generosity.

"I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." (Mark 10:15)

"But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. (Luke 18:16)

"So I commend the enjoyment of life, because there is nothing better for a person under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany them in their toil all the days of the life God has given them under the sun. When I applied my mind to know wisdom and to observe the labor that is done on earth—people getting no sleep day or night—then I saw all that God has done. No one can comprehend what goes on under the sun. Despite all their efforts to search it out, no one can discover its meaning. Even if the wise claim they know, they cannot really comprehend it." (Ecclesiastes 8:15-17)

Who knows His work in the moment the three of us shared, I cannot comprehend. I have seen what He has done, and though I do not comprehend what goes on under the sun, I know He is my Savior and is working in me all the time. His joy envelops me, surrounds me, and is in the light drifting down on us from the sun in heaven, His light. Do you take time like a child to notice even the tiniest details in God's creation? If you notice them, do you stop your walks, toils, and labors to admire His handiwork and take delight and joy in them? If you were holding a most precious and wonderful discovery in your hand and someone came along and asked for it, would you unhesitatingly give it over? Do you laugh under the sun?

I do. I am a child of the King.

"Once I was clothed in the rags of my sin,
Wretched and poor, lost and lonely within.
But with wondrous compassion, the King of all kings,
In pity and love, took me under His wings."

"Oh, yes, oh yes, I'm a child of the King
His royal blood now flows in my veins.
And I who was wretched and poor now can sing
Praise God, praise God, I'm a child of the King."


I implore you to become a child of the King.You will know joy everlasting.

Comments