On joy

Someone told me the other day that she enjoyed my bright happy smile and my vivacious attitude. I replied that though I did have my issues and my problems, I choose joy. I do not focus on my problems. She was surprised, saying that one would never know by looking at me that I ever felt sad or down. I said that my problems will pass away but the light of Jesus will never pass away. I want people to see His Light, not my problems.

To that end, I work at making sure that I refocus my attitude each day. Some days I need to refocus it hour by hour, and some days moment by moment. It is work to choose to rely on joy and not wallow in personal problems. But what do you want people to see? Your problems written on your face, body, and posture? Or His light despite your problems? If we rely on Him, then really rely on Him. Don't worry about the medical report, you will get a glorified body. Don't worry about the scarce cupboard, He will provide. Don't worry about the job, He will send one. Don't worry about anything. He says:

“An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up” (Proverbs 12:25).
“I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears” (Psalm 34:4).
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7).

He says all that and more. Let people see your light, for He that is within us is greater than he who is in the world (1 John 4:4). Your problems will pass away, but He will never pass away, so He should be the focus.


Comments

  1. Worry is a tough one with me. His grace has been working on me in this area. I love the verses in Philippians.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment