Sunday Martyr Moment: John Huss, "The goose is cooked"

A day early with this because today is the anniversary of the burning of martyr John Huss. July 6, 1415. Excerpted from Foxe's Book of Martyrs. John Huss was killed by the Roman Catholic Church for the 'heresy' of proclaiming that Christ is the Head of the church and that salvation is in Christ alone. The martyrs died proclaiming Jesus is the head of the church and so many foolish people today have wantonly substituted idols for Him instead.

The day will come in His millennium Kingdom when
They shall not hurt or destroy
in all my holy mountain;
for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.
~Isaiah 11:9

The earth will be FULL of the knowledge of the Lord! Full...all will know and all will bow.

As he was taken to his death, Huss refused to recant and was heard to say, 'You are now going to burn a goose, but in a century you will have a swan which you can neither roast nor boil.' A hundred years later Martin Luther arose, challenged the church, and was known as The Swan.

~~~~~~~~~~~Foxe's Book: John Huss~~~~~~~~~~~

When he was brought before the Council, the articles exhibited against him were read: they were upwards of forty in number, and chiefly extracted from his writings. John Huss's answer was this:

"I did appeal unto the pope; who being dead, and the cause of my matter remaining undetermined, I appealed likewise unto his successor John XXIII: before whom when, by the space of two years, I could not be admitted by my advocates to defend my cause, I appealed unto the high judge Christ."

When John Huss had spoken these words, it was demanded of him whether he had received absolution of the pope or no? He answered, "No." Then again, whether it was lawful for him to appeal unto Christ or no? Whereunto John Huss answered: "Verily I do affirm here before you all, that there is no more just or effectual appeal, than that appeal which is made unto Christ, forasmuch as the law doth determine, that to appeal is no other thing than in a cause of grief or wrong done by an inferior judge, to implore and require aid at a higher Judge's hand. Who is then a higher Judge than Christ? Who, I say, can know or judge the matter more justly, or with more equity? when in Him there is found no deceit, neither can He be deceived; or, who can better help the miserable and oppressed than He?" While John Huss, with a devout and sober countenance, was speaking and pronouncing those words, he was derided and mocked by all the whole Council.
"His vestments were removed from him, one by one, and each bishop present pronouncing a curse on him as part of the ceremony. They put a cap on his head; on which were painted frightful pictures of demons, and on the front of it the words “Archheretic.” Jan Hus said, “Most joyfully will I wear this crown of shame for Thy sake, O Jesus, who for me didst wear a crown of thorns.” ' (source) .

These excellent sentences were esteemed as so many expressions of treason, and tended to inflame his adversaries. Accordingly, the bishops appointed by the Council stripped him of his priestly garments, degraded him, put a paper miter on his head, on which was painted devils, with this inscription, "A ringleader of heretics." Which when he saw, he said: "My Lord Jesus Christ, for my sake, did wear a crown of thorns; why should not I then, for His sake, again wear this light crown, be it ever so ignominious? Truly I will do it, and that willingly." When it was set upon his head, the bishop said: "Now we commit thy soul unto the devil." "But I," said John Huss, lifting his eyes towards the heaven, "do commend into Thy hands, O Lord Jesus Christ! my spirit which Thou has redeemed."

When the chain was put about him at the stake, he said, with a smiling countenance, "My Lord Jesus Christ was bound with a harder chain than this for my sake, and why then should I be ashamed of this rusty one?"

When the wood was piled up to his very neck, the duke of Bavaria was so officious as to desire him to abjure. "No, (said Huss;) I never preached any doctrine of an evil tendency; and what I taught with my lips I now seal with my blood." He then said to the executioner, "You are now going to burn a goose, (Huss signifying goose in the Bohemian language:) but in a century you will have a swan which you can neither roast nor boil." If he were prophetic, he must have meant Martin Luther, who shone about a hundred years after, and who had a swan for his arms.
Jan Hus burning.
Drawing after Ulrich von Richental's illustrated
chronicle of the Council of Constance

The flames were now applied to the wood when our martyr sung a hymn with so loud and cheerful a voice that he was heard through all the cracklings of the combustibles, and the noise of the multitude. At length his voice was interrupted by the severity of the flames, which soon closed his existence.

Then, with great diligence, gathering the ashes together, they cast them into the river Rhine, that the least remnant of that man should not be left upon the earth, whose memory, notwithstanding, cannot be abolished out of the minds of the godly, neither by fire, neither by water, neither by any kind of torment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John MacArthur has a tremendous sermon about John Huss and Martin Luther, and their resistance to the RCC's popery. It's called Undermining the Headship of Christ. It is well worth a listen.

Comments

  1. You were right Elizabeth! Wonderful sermon by MacArthur!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you listened! I loved it when he said that we take for granted today saying the simple sentence "Jesus is head of the church" but back then, it was a heretical statement, and they died for it! We owe so much to the martyrs whose faith in the resurrected Lord & Savior Jesus was unshakeable.

      Delete
  2. What an amazing story. I plan to listen to McArthur's sermon, too. Thank you. I hope you have a peaceful Sunday. Melissa S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am seeing many who are ripe for doing the same as the RCC did then, working now to bring people back under the devils false religious authority.

    Oh for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemers praise, the glories of my God and king, and triumphs of His grace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that was great! I find John MacArthur to be such a blessing and thank God for him.
    Thanks for sharing, Elizabeth. I look thru his sermons and can never decide which one to choose. How do you do it?

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I know, they're all gems. I'm thrilled that you listened. I just pretty much listen to all of them. Even if I can't decide I just throw a dart and I know that whatever it lands on will be good.

      I find it amazing that I could listen to one from 1972 and not look at the date, and I would not know that is isn't from yesterday. (Except his voice was a bit different an he talked faster then, lol).

      I'll tell you which ones blessed me the most, the series on Genesis 1. I had felt a spiritual need to get back to basics and back to the beginning. The sermons expositing the Word from Genesis 1 and the creation are absolutely incredible and brought me to my knees. You might not have the same reaction, but they are solid pieces of work that remind us of who God is.

      It begins here
      http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/90-211/the-how-why-and-when-of-creation-part-1

      Have a blessed Sunday, Pam :)

      Delete

Post a Comment