Our new body

35 But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body do they come?” 36 You foolish person! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. 37 And what you sow is not the body that is to be, but a bare kernel, perhaps of wheat or of some other grain. 38 But God gives it a body as he has chosen, and to each kind of seed its own body. (1 Corinthians 15:35-38).



An Israeli company named ReWalk has developed a 'hard 'exoskeleton' that aids parapalegics in standing and walking upright. The company has also developed a soft exoskeleton that aids people who have not severed their spinal cord to walk, such as people who have suffered a stroke or other debilitating injury.

The hard robotics, credit Reuters.

The 'soft' robotics. Credit TechCrunch

The body is amazing. It's intricate, delicate, and fragile, yet strong, tough, and resilient. As I age, I am more amazed at the changes the body goes through. Some of it is preventable, (weight gain) some of it is not (menopause). Some of it is inevitable (general decline) some of it is not (I can always dye my white hair!).

I lived through the health-conscious aerobic 1980s. I had some friends who were fiends for exercise, and ALL they talked about was looks. They were older than me and they were excessively worried about breast droop, loss of youthful appearance, which clothing made them look younger, and all the things that aging women with nothing else to say grouse about.

I've never been especially worried about looks but I am dismayed by my declining energy, tired eyes, loss of skin elasticity, and legs that can't kick as high as they used to.

How blessed I am to be able to look forward to my new body in heaven! Thanks to the Lord's grace and gift, I will be outfitted with a permanent body able to dwell in God's glory. I'll be strong, perfectly able to do what is necessary to live out God's plan for my life. My long, long life.

Our associate pastor is a paraplegic and he is looking forward to a new body also. Many friends in church and at work who suffer from ailments from life threatening (such as cancer) to the more minor but painful (migraines) are also looking forward to new bodies. What a joy it will be to have flesh that won't be susceptible to disease, breakage, or decline!

I wonder what my new body will look like. The Bible says we will know as we are known, so my friends who will be there with me will know me. I don't suppose I'll look very different, though I know I won't have to wear glasses any more. And the crowns and fillings in my teeth will be gone.

Just as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly (1 Corinthians 15:49).

Here is John MacArthur with a short essay on Our New Bodies. It is only one of a million-billion reasons why we look forward to the return of Jesus as our blessed Hope!


Comments