Faith of a Child

I work in an elementary school. This year I'm working in the 2nd grade. I love children, so this suits me. The Lord is gracious to fulfill me spiritually and professionally.

I really like working with the younger kids. I've worked in Pre-K to grade 2 in these latest times, and in the past taught 4th and 5th.

There's something about the randomness of little kids and their thought patterns that amazes and tickles me. You never know what they're going to say. They way they think is precious and in a lot of cases, logical.

Last week I was assigned a special project apart from my regular duties. I was pulled to do a Reading Assessment on all the kindergarteners. Yay! I'm with the smaller kids again!

The kindergarten kids had seen me around. I am on duty in the morning and afternoon, and I greet them as they come in and I'm with them for half an hour at car riders. They also see me in the hallway.  I don't directly work with them, though. I'm some roving, random adult in their school lives.

What I noticed about these children is that when I came out the door and asked to take a student to my little office I'd set up in the hallway, to do a test, they were all gung ho! Every time I'd come to their door, they say "Are you going to get me?" "Is it my turn?" They were all excited to come with me for a test.

Once settled in our chairs, I explained that they should read a short story book to me and then they would retell it in their own words and answer some questions. Not one of the children balked or asked why or crossed their arms. Not only did they work, but they worked hard.

Occasionally I needed to have them read and retell a second book and if I asked them if they needed a break or wanted to continue, all the ones I asked wanted to go straight through. They were eager.

Most of them even said "thank you" at one point.

I started thinking about the Bible and Jesus. I started thinking about attitude and excitement and submission and effort.

If someone came to my door and wanted to test me, would I be eager? Excited? Striving to do my best? Would I be happy and polite? Trusting and pliable?

Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it. And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands on them. (Mark 10:14-16)

The faith of a child is just that- full of wide-eyed trust, utter submission, striving to please. Barnes' Notes says of the Mark verses,
As a little child - With the temper and spirit of a child - teachable, mild, humble, and free from prejudice and obstinacy.
I learned a lot being with the 5 and 6 year olds. Where they excel, I sometimes fall short.



Comments

  1. Then we meticulously proceed to remove "magical thinking" as if human rationality were some sort of divine light getting in--and you can see grade by grade the actual light quickly going out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment