The Sweetest Frame

You know the song, The Solid Rock,

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus Christ, my righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

What is the frame? Did you ever wonder? It makes sense in the song without having to explain it. Like, intuitive sense. But if one is going to explain it, how would one?

The word is used in Psalm 103:14,
For he knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust.

I looked up the word in Hebrew. The word is yetser. It means-

a form, framing, purpose... of what is framed in the mind ... is common in sense of impulse: of good and bad tendency in man.

Barnes' Notes on the Bible says of the Psalm above,
For he knoweth our frame - Our formation; of what we are made; how we are made. That is, he knows that we are made of dust; that we are frail; that we are subject to decay; that we soon sink under a heavy load. This is given as a reason why he pities us - that we are so frail and feeble, and that we are so easily broken down by a pressure of trial.
He remembereth that we are dust - Made of the earth. Genesis 2:7; Genesis 3:19. In his dealings with us he does not forget of what frail materials he made us, and how little our frames can bear. He tempers his dealings to the weakness and frailty of our nature, and his compassion interposes when the weight of sorrows would crush us. Remembering, too, our weakness, he interposes by his power to sustain us, and to enable us to bear what our frame could not otherwise endure. Compare the notes at Isaiah 57:16.
So in the song, frame could mean frame of mind, or our frame like our infrastructure. It could mean our nature, the good and bad tendencies in man.

I dare not trust my sweetest tendency
I dare not trust my frame of mind
I dare not trust my own self

Like I said, makes intuitive sense!

Trust only Jesus...nothing else




Comments