Prata Potpourri: Parenting, Discernment book review, Prioritizing family, Songs of lament, more

Hello and welcome to another edition of Prata Potpourri. I've found some interesting links and tossed them into the mix for your consideration. The week ended on a good note for me. To be honest it started on a good note, so all in all it was a good week! I hope it was for you as well. The rapture didn't happen this week but since it's always imminent, it could happen next week. What a blessing it will be to be in glory, seeing Jesus' face, and rendering the perfect service and worship He deserves.

Meanwhile the dawn hasn't broken and I'm sipping coffee in the quiet, with the vigorous rooster next door announcing the imminent arrival of Aurora. Later I will have to attend to some adulting by paying bills and choosing health care since Open Enrollment is ongoing. Maybe clean the apartment. But the precious moments between waking and arising,and heaving ho to the tasks ahead is the sweet spot of Saturday morning. I hope you enjoy a few of these during your down time, whenever you can find some.

Samuel D. James's review of the book The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure and how it's really about parenting. Man, this guy can write.

Founders talks about living the cessationist life

Keith Getty says that when only constant happy hymns are sung, it further saddens the downcast since they cannot reach the joyful heights. He longs for congregations to sing a few songs of lament.

Aimee Byrd, the Housewife Theologian, remarking on how even the word sin is going out of style

Dallas Holm muses in his moving and stirring praise letter about Gospel Missionaries.

The always impressive Ayanna Thomas with a lesson on How To Apply Scripture.

Hannah Anderson's new book All That's Good: Recovering the Lost Art of Discernment is reviewed by the ladies at Out of the Ordinary. I haven't read the book and I'm not that familiar with Anderson. But I'm always looking for a good book on discernment. Let me know if you read it and like it.

Do you stint the Lord with the excuse that you must prioritize family? Meager with time or money or service forthe Lord? Michael Coughlin had me at Spurgeon...and the Spirit had me at stint.

I love Bud Alheim's Puritan quotes



This Britain's Got Talent clip of the singers performing the classic song White Cliffs of Dover, a WWII song. The surprise at the end, had me in tears. It got me thinking about true bravery and sacrifice, and the endless wars our globe has endured and will endure, as we are promised (Matthew 24:6. Wars have scarred generations of humans from the beginning and has corrupted even the ground with blood, hate, and bones. But then I got to thinking about the end of war, and I began to long even more for Jesus's great appearing.

Whoever the BBC Good Food photpgraphers are, they kill me with their luscious pictures of food, expertly photographed. So mouth watering. Stills can get boring but these guys are endlessly creative. Follow them on Twitter, you won't regret it. @BBcGoodFood
Now they add to my pain with this photo of weekend getaways for foodies. Look at this pub! Just look at it!



Winston Tseng's parody trash posters have Christians and conservatives up in arms. I say, relax and chill, people. He is an equal opportunity parodist, taking on the NYC MTA, Christians, Trump, and the Red Sox. I'm not a fan of the sentiment but I'm not going to spend social media time or spiritual energy decrying that an unsaved person hurt my feelings with a poster.

This European City map will serve you well in any city in which you travel. It's highly accurate, from my own experience, lol.


For moms. I opened with parenting and I close with mommying. Mattea Goff's comic explaining to her husband why she is so tired in the morning has gone viral.









Comments

  1. Appreciated Aimee Byrd's article and Getty's insights. Pub = so cozy! European map - LOL!

    -Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, the Watson quote is actually theologically incorrect. When we sin against a person, we do not "but trespass against a man", we also first and foremost sin against God. What did David say when confronted of his sin against Uriah and Bathsheba? 2 Sam 12:13. Psalm 51:4.

    -Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn

      It's not theologically incorrect. While I agree that ultimately all sin is against God, we DO sin against each other.

      The Lord's prayer says in Mt 6:12, "And forgive us our trespasses, As we forgive them that trespass against us. " In addition, there are many places in the NT where forgiveness is taught for 'trespasses,' or sins, against each other.

      I believe, if we aren't going to go down the road of correcting in a camel-gnat situation, that the theologian Thomas Watson was saying, that to sin against your neighbor is one thing, but to withhold forgiveness is worse.

      The concept in the quote is taught in Mt 6:12 as mentioned, then extended in Mt 6:14 where the Lord says, "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, 15 but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

      Delete

Post a Comment