"God Told Me": About those whispers to the heart...

By Elizabeth Prata

*This essay first appeared in July 2018 on The End Time. I have edited it and updated it. Enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is a women to do when it seems like everyone is hearing directly from God...and you're not? It seems like so many women say they hear audible voices, still small voices, whispers in the heart, voices from the sky...

For example, Joanna Gaines of the popular HGTV television show Fixer Upper said she heard God's voice clearly. Jennie Allen who founded If:Gathering, said a voice from the sky directly told her to start that organization.

Bill Hybels wrote an entire book teaching how to hear a whisper from God. He wrote:
"On day three of my writing, the Holy Spirit impressed the following message on me: "'...I am going to release you from the responsibility of leading this youth group so you can start a church...'
Since this essay was originally written, we can add Franccis Chan to the long list of teachers in Christendom who claim to hear directly from God. Chan said that his "theology left some room for hearing directly from God," and it seems that God entered that room and now regularly speaks to Chan. He uses charismatic language to describe personal revelations from God. "On the plane here, it was revealed to me..." He said the Lord began instructing him to give away specific amounts of money, $50,000, $1M and so on. During The Send pre-rally in January 2019, Chan said he was given a room for an hour alone to commune with God in scripture and prayer. It was during this meditative moment that Chan divulged exact words God said to him,

Ladies, beware of how dangerous it is to claim to have heard directly from God and put quotes around the 'message' and use the pronoun "I". Hybels there is actually speaking FOR God. Putting words n God's mouth is not something you want to do. Ever. Yet Sarah Young heard from God and wrote a book quoting everything he (allegedly) said, and it's still a bestseller 14 years later.

Beth Moore can't go more than a minute or two in her lectures without referring to some kind of direct interaction- and she's been saying that from her earliest days of lecturing. See all these statements from her 2000 book Praying God's Word and her 2002 book When Godly People do Ungodly Things, plus one more from around 2013-
  • Before God tells me a secret, He knows up front I'm going to tell it! By and large, that’s our 'deal.' 
  • God compelled me to ink it on paper with a force unparalleled
  • God required me to fast...and it was He would release me
  • I didn't ask to write some of the kinds of messages God has appointed me 
  • In Praying God's Word, God directed me to address the powerful yoke of sexual bondage
  • Because God chose to supply me with so much unsolicited data
  • I heard the voice of God speak to my heart
  • I also love how I could tell by the sweet tone of the silent voice whispering to my spirit that He was smiling
  • What God began to say to me about five years ago and I'm telling you it is in me on such a trek with him that my head is still whirling over it. He began to say to me, 'I'm gonna say something right now, Beth. And boy you write this one down. And you say it as often as I give you utterance to say it.
I love this one, 'I could tell by the sweet tone of the silent voice whispering to my spirit that He was smiling'...the voice was silent, but it had a tone, and the one included a smile, which is also silent.

And lest one believe that Moore's claims were simply youthful errors from back in 2000, she is still saying them, for example in one of her recent teachings called "Advance":
When I get a key word, when the Lord gives me concept, that is a word, I mean He dropped this word into my heart a couple of weeks ago, and began to associate it in prayer and I mean when I get a word like that He drops in my spirit, I wait to see what city it'll be connected with...then I look up the word into a concordance to see all the times it's used in scripture...
Is that how to do Bible study? Wait for God to drop/whisper/speak/tell me something directly, like a word, then go and look up all the times the word is uses in scripture, cobble together and acrostic, and tech about Jesus that way? IS Jesus speaking in a still, small voice? It seems that those who claim to hear Him are the majority while we ladies who stick to hearing from God through the Bible have become a minority.

How common is it to hear directly from God? Here we have a 2013 NY Times article about an ethnographer doing field studies. The article is titled Is that God Talking? And it's by TR Luhrmann. She said it is very common these days for people to say they have heard God speak to them. Remember, she is an ethnographer who systematically studies people and cultures and explores cultural phenomena from a secular point of view:
I still remember how startled I was when a young woman I was interviewing told me God had spoken to her, audibly. I was doing ethnographic field work in_________. This was the kind of [place] in which people sought an intimate, conversational relationship with God. It was not at all uncommon for people to talk about hearing God.
In where? Where was she doing ethnographic studies where people say they heard God talking? Burundi? Solomon Islands? No. Chicago. In an evangelical charismatic church. Luhrmann continued describing her attempt of trying to either include or exclude the cause. She first thought of schizophrenics.
The unusual auditory experiences reported by congregants just weren’t like that [the daily lengthy utterances that schizophrenics hear]. They were rare. Most people said they’d had one or two in their lifetime. They were brief — just a few words. They were pleasant. And they did not have that sense of command.
And there is your clue. The kind of utterances people say they hear lack authoritative command. They also tend to focus on the comfort and well-being of the person receiving these revelations. As Tim Challies noted in his essay 10 Serious Problems with Jesus Calling,
Her tone does not match the Bible's. It can't be denied: The Jesus of Sarah Young sounds suspiciously like a twenty-first century, Western, middle-aged woman. If this is, indeed, Jesus speaking, we need to explain why he sounds so markedly different from the Jesus of the gospels...
So, no, Jesus is not calling or talking or teaching or delivering new revelations or meeting you with dates or smiling in a silent whisper. As the noted preacher and discernment lecturer, author of the excellent lesson Clouds Without Water, Justin Peters said,


It's hard to understand how so many women can be wrong, but they are. They are either deceived, deluded, or lying, but they are not hearing directly from God.

We begin Genesis 3 with a woman accepting extrabiblical revelation, (from the serpent) and we end the scriptures with God charging a church for tolerating a false prophetess Jezebel. (Revelation 2:20). There is a reason satan targets women in deceiving them they are hearing from God. We are easily deceived and we must always be in the word ourselves, be with our husbands or fathers in the word, and be in church listening to the word.

The years upon years of Christian teachers and other leading women normalizing direct revelation has had untold and devastating effects on the faith.

Books and teaching material aimed at women usually create a scenario where God's voice appears in a more romantic than biblical way.We read of 'gentle whispers' or moon-soaked walks where the quite voice enters one's heart, and the like. Yet is that How God speaks? Once in the Bible he came in a whisper, and to prove a point to Elijah. Mainly when God speaks it is in a THUNDER!!! (Exodus 19, Exodus 20, Job 37:4-5, Psalm 18:13, Psalm 29:2-4, Revelation 14:2, Revelation 19:6, etc)

And when the recipient hears that Godly thunder, they fall down as if dead! Here is Forerunner Commentary on Deuteronomy 4:32-36
What power! Those people were terrified when they heard the voice of God. It shook them to their very being—and that was God's purpose! This, of course, "is written for our admonition," as Paul says in Romans 15:4. Moses writes this to impress upon us the connection between "voice," "words," and "power." So powerful is the voice of God that it is a miracle that they lived through hearing it! 
Yes so many of these modern day false prophets claim to have heard God while shaving, driving, eating, etc, and they take it casually and go on with their day.
So we need to remember that Sola Scriptura is not merely the sola but also the Scriptura. ~Abner Chou, July 3, 2018
Here is Pastor Gabe with a 90-second video on hearing from God:



Here is Pastor Mike Abendroth with a 90-second video on 'God Told Me'-




Here is Dr Abner Chou with an essay about how to study scripture correctly: Do Your Hermeneutics Hold to Sola Scriptura? Hermeneutics simply means "the science of interpretation, especially of the Scriptures."
We know the Scripture is rich and deep (Ps 119:18). Verbal plenary inspiration demonstrates that every word is inspired, God’s very own communication (2 Tim 3:16). The biblical writers exhibit this as they show how individual phrases (Rom 4:3-12) and words (Gal 3:16) of Scripture bring forth its sublime truth. The clarity of God’s Word leads to its precision and profundity. All of it, down to the word, is useful, powerful, and binding. 
In light of this, the question is whether we have done the hard work. Have I really studied a passage and understood the background, context, point, structure, theology, and applications of a text down to the detail of every word? Can I put all of this together so that I know precisely all the author has willed in this passage? 
Doing that takes hard work but that is the very nature of Scripture and what it demands (cf. 2 Tim 2:15). The reason that sermons, Bible studies, Sunday school lessons, or devotions lack depth is often because we haven’t spent the time and effort to go beneath the surface.

Think about it. You can study the Bible by looking at "background, context, point, structure, theology, and applications of a text down to the detail of every word" or, you can simply be like Beth Moore and have God supply you with unsolicited data dropped directly into your head.

Which is more prideful? Laboring in sweat and tears in a small room by lamplight, obscure and unknown, or sit and wait for God to directly whisper something to you, so you can say later 'God is talking directly to MEEE.'

Ladies, there is no still, small voice you're missing out on. You're not unworthy because it seems that God chooses to speak to so many other women and not you. If you never say "God told me" you are doing more than you know to uphold the faith. By saying "The Bible says in verse such and such" you are contributing building blocks for others to stand on. If you rely on His word as written in a good translation, you aren't undermining scripture but instead you are honoring Jesus.

Saying "God told me..." is saying "Scripture is deficient." By relying on the Word alone, you are relying on the Rock, that shall never be undermined.



Comments

  1. Articles like this are always worth the repost. I just recently engaged with another person about this very topic. I reaffirmed the sufficiency of Scripture and the closed canon, and emphasized that the Bible, not our experiences, is the only authority. The other person didn't agree (an understatement) , but I prayed and said what was true, which was all I could do. 2 Tim 2:24-26.

    Thanks, Elizabeth.

    -Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking quite a bit about what you wrote...actually for a long time before you wrote it, this subject has been on my heart. What I wonder is, does the Holy Spirit only speak to our hearts/minds/consciences in the words of Scripture? Say you have a decision to make (one which doesn't involve sin of any sort), and you pray for guidance to know the Lord's will in the matter...will you only find that guidance in the Scriptures? Is it not possible that the Spirit gives peace about a decision and that's your guidance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace To You,

      It's a great question and one I've been asked via email, and I've asked myself this, too. I think this transcription of a 2002 Shepherds Conference Q&A answers it. Phil Johnson on Providence is really good.

      The hsort answer is if you're embarking on a course of action, looked at all the options and none are sinful, waited to determine if the course is truly acceptable, then go for it. Like, when I decided to move from Maine to GA, I just decided to. It was a good time financially and emotionally. My desire was for warmer weather as I went into my 50s. I wasn't hurting anyone by moving, so I did it. He worked it out providentially with employment, friends, and a church. I could have moved to Phoenix or San Diego or Spokane and He would have done the same thing.

      Here is a great section of Phil Johnson talk transcribed that some blogger did on a session from the 2002 Shepherds Confence Super Session titled 'Private Revelations." That's the first link. The second link is to the actual actual talk which is not transcribed (in case you want to hear it directly).

      BTW Phil Johnson has spoken about this issue several times in various places, the difference between promptings and providence and hearing directly from God and decision making and His will.

      https://iddcompany.wordpress.com/2013/05/31/phil-johnson-quote-on-sola-scriptura/ …
      Super Seminar: Private Revelations
      https://www.gracechurch.org/sermons/119

      Delete
    2. I listened to Phil Johnson's message from your link and am reeling from it. I grew up in, and as an adult believer have remained in, a church full of good, solid expositional teaching, and I can't imagine where I picked up the idea that God speaks to us in some way, but it appears it has been fairly consistent through my 33 years of walking with the Lord. And it would appear that this error has been the cause of a lot of embarrassment, confusion, disappointment and frustration in my life, as the speaker pointed out. It's given me a great deal to think about and pray about...thank you for that.


      Delete
    3. That was a good and short article by Phil Johnson. Thank you for the link Elizabeth! I hope others will consider what he wrote.

      Delete
  3. I read Streams in the Desert and My Utmost for His Highest most days, and have been amazed recently to find several paragraphs that deal with this very issue. I would almost think the Lord is trying to get through to me. :)

    Have you ever written about confidence in the Christian walk? i.e., confidently claiming the promises of God, Heb 4:16, etc...the topics are closely related, in my mind at least, and both have given me a lot of difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't written about confidence, but I will. That's a great suggestion.

      Delete
  4. Do you ever struggle to understand a concept, or does God reveal His truth to you pretty quickly? I'm still studying this and thinking on this subject and I believe God has given me a little insight but I think I still have a ways to go. I read this in My Utmost for His Highest recently - what do you think of it?

    "This chapter [Genesis 18] brings out the delight of real friendship with God as compared with occasional feelings of His presence in prayer. To be so much in contact with God that you never need to ask Him to show you His will, is to be nearing the final stage of your discipline in the life of faith. When you are rightly related to God, it is a life of freedom and liberty and delight; you are God’s will, and all your common-sense decisions are His will for you unless He checks. You decide things in perfect delightful friendship with God, knowing that if your decisions are wrong He will always check."

    Is this how it is with you when you make decisions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing the information, and your heart. I’m glad the issue is still percolating in your mind, and you're following it up.

      I categorize decision making into two sections, practical and spiritual. An example of the practical, (life decision) would be moving to GA. It was a common sense decision (even though I didn't know anyone). It had better weather, and I was aging and that comes into play. It had lower cost of living, and since I didn't have a job yet, that was common sense.

      When I got to GA I applied for a number of jobs. I applied using common sense. What did I have experience in, was trained for, and was good at? It’s not like I consulted the Lord and waited for a sign or anything. I just went for it.

      Some jobs I applied for were at the University in the journalism department, some with local magazines. The one I got (in His providential care) was for the Athens Banner Herald writing feature stories of people in my county as a freelancer. Later when I decided to go back to education - subbing at first and applying for parapro jobs, I didn't consult the Lord. I just used common sense. The freelance job simply wasn’t’ paying enough. But a job with the County Education system was:

      -fairly secure as jobs go (education is the largest employer in the county)
      -had health benefits (I was soon to be 50)
      -was what I was trained for. (formerly certified teacher with Masters degree)
      -I’d be working with kids (and not solely adults, I’ve always had a hard time with adult relationships)

      If I’d decided to get a job as a bungee jumper trainer, lol, that would not be common sense. In His providence He’d likely shut the door to any nonsensical decisions.

      But none of this is in the Bible, per se.

      I knew the Lord would work it out. In His providence He did not ordain that I was given the first job I’d interviewed for as a parapro at another school, but a year later I got a job at the school I'm at now, a great fit. I’ve been there 11 years, 9 as a parapro. It’s not like there is only ONE decision or only ONE path.

      His providential care was that since I’d been writing for the county section of the newspaper for over a year, people knew my name. It was a way to gain local name recognition that would have taken two or three generations otherwise (as it goes in the south). Looking in hindsight, we can see His care of us. I made the decision to change jobs, but he straightened my path. If you are seeking His face and obeying in the prescriptive aspects of your walk, you ARE in His will.

      Spiritual decisions I handle differently. That’s when I consult the Bible. I try to parse whether this is a decision I want or HE would want. (flesh vs soul). I am extremely patient and I wait a long time and I pray a lot. Do I switch churches now? Do I approach the Ladies Minister with concerns about Beth Moore? Who do I speak to about the pastor's plagiarism? Should I approach this colleague or that colleague with the Gospel? Arriving at a spiritual decision takes a while, I go patiently like a snail, sometimes I declare a fast.

      His will for us is to love the Lord God with all our heart, might, soul and strength. Love His Son unto repentance and seek His face daily in prayer and Bible reading. Love our neighbor. Do good works. Bear fruit. Watch the tongue…there are lots of prescriptions in the Bible about how to be live a life pleasing to Him. As long as I feel I’m doing my best with those, the other life-type of decisions fall into place, when we trust His providential care. 😊

      Delete
    2. I really like this online .pdf from Crossroads Church in Daytona Beach (formerly Daytona Beach Baptist Church). "How to Make Wise Decisions"
      https://www.crbible.com/%2Fzupload%2Fsite-options%2FTitus-3-12-13---How-To-Make-Wise-Decisions1.pdf

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply. There have been three major decisions in my life that have impacted my thinking greatly. Two of them involve moving: the first was when I was a fairly new believer with an unbelieving husband. We moved to a different city and I was so excited because there were a lot of children where we had been living, some I would have preferred our young son to not be spending time with, but all the kids played together on our dead end road and the only way it would have been possible to restrict their association would be to have kept our son inside. We were moving to another dead end road with only 4 houses, two of which had children just our son's age. I thought this was going to be wonderful - but those 2 children ended up being 100 times worse than what we left behind. :) Lesson learned: I don't know what is good. I took this lesson to heart and decided I would never make another decision again (but - HA - that was a decision!) without the LORD's direct intervention. Looking back on it now, though, I see two things: that it was actually my husband's decision, and not mine; and that just because it didn't work out the way I wanted it to or thought it would doesn't mean it wasn't the LORD's will.

    The second is similar, with a spiritual twist. When we thought the LORD was making it clear to us that it was time to leave Maine, my husband got two job offers within days of each other - one in Wilmington, NC and the other in Asheville, NC. My husband (a believer - the unbeliever left to marry another woman he had been carrying on with for years) made a list of pros and cons for each location and all the cons were in Asheville's favor, except the church - we believed the church situation was better in Wilmington, and we believed the principle of seeking first the kingdom of God applied to this situation so we chose Wilmington, even though there was nothing else there that made that location desirable to us. The church situation ended up being disastrous, and it left me reeling...I've spent the last 5 years (2 of which were there) wondering if we were wrong, where we went wrong, how do you ever know the will of God, etc. Again, I know that being in the Lord's will doesn't mean everything will always go well, but I guess I thought basing our decision on a Biblical principle meant it would. Now that I say that outright, it seems kind of silly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment