A spanked child is a successful child

Is it your feeling that God is a heavenly marshmallow of a Grandpa who loves everyone all the time but does not directly intercede to shape our character or morals in any way? This is the current, and incorrect view, of many. Discipline is absent from the mindset, and if present, is mocked. Taking responsibility from our actions is absent from society and the notion that there can and will be punishment for individual or national acts is met with complete outrage if dared to be uttered.

People today veritably spit in contempt at the notion that the parental discipline of spanking could produce healthy children. Rather, they say that it produces twisted and psychopathic adults staggering under the burden of abuse that haunt them to their dying day. Horrors! You spank your child? What kind of monster are you? Forgettting that not too long ago studies into the effects of spanking were "previously hampered by the inability to find enough children who had never been smacked, given its past cultural acceptability." Not so anymore. Spanking is not just fallen out of favor, but it is outlawed in many countries. "According to Lieber, fifteen countries worldwide have outlawed spanking of children, and under international law, it's considered a human rights abuse." That cultural shift in the home of eschewing direct physical punishment for wrong-doing, has also come a cultural eschewing that God does not directly physically punish for wrong-doing.

Society has reshaped the concepts of responsibility, discipline, punishment and parenting over the last decades. What was only recently understood to be a loving but Holy God, purposeful and constant in His punishment of unholy sin is now changed to an absent-minded grandfatherly buffoon stumbling around heaven looking for penny candy to dispense to His kids while here on earth "every man did that which was right in his own eyes." (Judges 21:25). Yet "he who withholds his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently." (Proverbs 13:24 NASB)

Therefore the following research result is making headlines across the wires today. It controverts everything this satan-influenced society has spawned in terms of the re-defined concept of punishment and discipline.

A smacked child ‘is a successful child’
"Young children smacked [UK version of 'spanked'] by their parents may grow up to be happier and more successful than those who have never been hit, a study has found." What?! How can this be so?! Personal, physical punishment is an abuse, it is wrong, it is criminal, our hedonistic, free-for-all society says. So  immediately articles challenging the results were published in order to protect the status quo mindset. "Opponents slam claims that smacking may have benefits."

We have a generation that has never been spanked and therefore is unfamiliar with the correlation between wrongdoing and direct punishment. "Let it all hang out!" "The devil made me do it!" "Make love, not war"  "If it feels good, do it" "I'm OK, You're OK" and "Question authority" were popular slogans of the 60's and 70's, and the people who said this are now parents who don't spank.

Spanking helps shape kids into healthy adults the study showed. Our God has spanked throughout the ages and has created healthy nations each time He punished them. He spanks the sinner and He spanks the believer and it creates a healthier person. Make no mistake, no matter your thought that God 'makes love, not war,' you will be punished in a personal and physical way for your sins. This entire period of the end times is a series of increasing spanks that are designed to get your attention and re-shape you from a wrong-doing hedonist into a holy believer. Pray that your own spiritual spank takes place now, during the end times, when you can repent and benefit from His intercession in your spiritual shaping-up. Pray that His spanking of the world in these end times reaches your heart and you turn from your sins. Because if the headline "Spanking makes healthier adults" is controversial now, even more so is this one, soon to appear: "God smacks the world. Few survive."

Comments

  1. Child buttock-battering vs. DISCIPLINE:

    Child buttock-battering for the purpose of gaining compliance is nothing more than an inherited bad habit.

    Its a good idea for people to take a look at what they are doing, and learn how to DISCIPLINE instead of hit.

    I think the reason why television shows like "Supernanny" and "Dr. Phil" are so popular is because that is precisely what many (not all) people are trying to do.

    There are several reasons why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea. Here are some good, quick reads recommended by professionals:

    Plain Talk About Spanking
    by Jordan Riak,

    The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children
    by Tom Johnson,

    NO VITAL ORGANS THERE, So They Say
    by Lesli Taylor M.D. and Adah Maurer Ph.D.

    Most compelling of all reasons to abandon this worst of all bad habits is the fact that buttock-battering can be unintentional sexual abuse for some children. There is an abundance of educational resources, testimony, documentation, etc available on the subject that can easily be found by doing a little research with the recommended reads-visit www.nospank.net.

    Just a handful of those helping to raise awareness of why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea:

    American Academy of Pediatrics,
    American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,
    Center For Effective Discipline,
    PsycHealth Ltd Behavioral Health Professionals,
    Churches' Network For Non-Violence,
    Nobel Peace Prize recipient Archbishop Desmond Tutu,
    Parenting In Jesus' Footsteps,
    Global Initiative To End All Corporal Punishment of Children,
    United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

    In 26 countries, child corporal punishment is prohibited by law (with more in process). In fact, the US was the only UN member that did not ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vast majority of professionals agree that child buttock-battering isn’t healthy. A marginal few (mostly religious fundamentalists) think that child bottom-slapping is good. They use the same selective literalist interpretation of the Bible as was used to justify “witch”-burning, depraved torture methods for those accused of sin and heresy, slavery, racism, wife-beating, oppression of women and a host of other social ills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Buttock battering"? Nice alliteration and a good sound bite, but no one is talking about battering a child. So let us remove that entire contention from your mindset, and your argument. Which doesn't leave much...

    Punishment for wrong-doing that includes an occasional spank is a good thing. Tell me why it isn't.

    I also think it is extreme to use in your argument that I, as a Christian, advocate "“witch”-burning, depraved torture methods for those accused of sin and heresy, slavery, racism, wife-beating, oppression of women and a host of other social ills." I do not and none I know do either.

    Hot-button words that do your comment no justice in advancing understanding of why you think occasional, direct physical punishment for wrong-doing is bad.

    Punishment for wrong-doing that includes an occasional spank is a good thing. Tell me why it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ven the Dr. Phil talking timeouts "can have a detrimental effect on kids if imposed when a parent is out of control. “If you give your child a timeout because he or she broke a rule and you want there to be a consequence and you speak calmly, that is one thing,” Dennis says. “But if you are screaming and angry when you give the timeout, it’s not effective.”

    It's all in how a parent administers the spank, or the timeout. The point is, the bible is a good guide for all things, including administering direct physical punishment on a child who is learning.

    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2010/01/04/2010-01-04_spanking_makes_kids_perform_better_in_school_study.html#ixzz0bgusQoQK

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the title cos I am a 12 yo boy and get spanked whenever I misbehave or get a bad mark. It happens around 2 / month, sometimes more often. My mom holds me on the bed and dad hits my bare bottom and legs with a belt or cane until it is really sore and I have marks for some days. But my school results are very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a Christian. I am a member of local southern baptist church. I am a 50yr old man who raised a daughter. I was a single father, it was very hard for me to raise a girl by myself. I did have the help of my paturnal grandmother who is a nurse. I do believe in spanking and I did spank my daughter 3 times in her whole life. I did not and do not believe in bare bottom spankings. My daughter became modest about 10yrs old. And, I respected her modesty. I didnt have to spank my daughter during her teenage years. In her teen years she became real modest and I again I respected that. I never seen my daughter nude after she was 10yrs old. Modesty was and is still very important to both of us. My daughter is now 24yrs old and she and her husband are both registard nurses. I have had a wonderful close loving relationship with my daughter. She and I are still very close. The times I had to spank her, I cryed almost as much as she did. During her teen years all I had todo was ground or take privilages away from her. That always worked. She mostly was a good kid. On the modesty part, we always had open dialog when it came to boys, dating and sex. Again,I am in favor of spankings Bile says spare the rod spoil the child. But, I spank with clothing on. I believe it is morally wrong for a father to see his teenage daughter naked, or mother to see her teenage son. Teenagers are adults in their genitals and adults even christian adults can have unmoral thoughts. When I was teenage boy the last thing I wanted was to be seen naked by a woman. I was never seen naked by a woman in my teen years. My grandparents raised me and even grandma being nurse, she respected my modesty. My mother on other hand sexually abused me until I was 13yrs old. My parents divorced at 13 and I went to live with my paturnal grandparents. I did not have a relationship or even see my mother after that. I did attend her funeral in 1995. In my heart I forgave her, but still have scars from to this day. I pray that moms,dads, guardians who are raising teens,to respect their modesty. You could distroy a relationship with your kids later on in life. My mother never got to see her granddaughter. please, moms and dads, respect the modesty of your teens, if you have to spank them do it with clothing on. Spanking should be through with when they get to teen years, but if they act like little child then they should be treated like one. Please, excuse grammer and spelling?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Don't agree. My spanked classmates are all drug addicts with successful jobs but totally unhealthy relationships. Also most of my successful friends are way far from happy, and severely depressed. Is this what I want for my kids? To be depressed and miserable with successful jobs? and All in the Name of Jesus who forgave his killers????????? hell no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jordan, "all" your spanked classmates are drug addicts? I read recently that 100 people in the US die every day of drug overdoses, that drug overdose is the leading cause of accidental death in the US, that 70% of the US population is on prescription drugs. Not "all" of that is due to being spanked.

      Overall, your comment says you'd rather indulge your children and be unforgiving...I don't agree.

      Delete
  8. Both Math and Verbal SAT college entrance exam scores in the United States dropped by double digits from the 1960s through the 1990s. This time period corresponds to the rise of a national anti-spanking movement. The decline was paved over by a 1995 "recentering" of SAT scoring. Even then, those scores didn't recover until the early 21st century.

    The dirty little secret about the anti-spanking movement is that it had very little to do with spanking. Its primary purpose was enforcing equality between the sexes and mandated by 1960s federal equal rights legislation.

    Prior to the 1970s, teenage daughters were routinely spanked by their parents. In most states, it was legal for parents to spank a daughter until her 21st birthday. On the other hand, for the most part, boys weren't spanked after puberty. Forbidding spanking removed this disparity of application.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anonymous,

    Thanks for your comment but I think I will have to disagree, or at least register some skepticism. Creating a causal relationship between declining SAT scores and no-spanking is a stretch in my opinion. One might just as easily say,

    "Both Math and Verbal SAT college entrance exam scores in the United States dropped by double digits from the 1960s through the 1990s. This time period corresponds to the rise of rainfall nationally".

    I do agree that lack of parental discipline in families and an abdication of parental authority during that time period has contributed to less discipline among children who then become less disciplined students, but I just don't see a causal relationship as clearly as you'd stated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There need not be "a causal relationship," for there to be relevance. In fact, because there are so many potential variables involved, causality in social science statistics is difficult to definitively establish.

      Moreover, I never claimed there was "a causal relationship" between spanking and SAT scores.

      That said, however, there were three decades of either annual statistical correlations or unrelated coincidences in declining SAT scores totally unrelated to large numbers of school systems removing paddling as a disciplinary option for educators and a decline in the acceptance of spanking among parents.

      In fact, using either the pre-1995 "recentering" scoring criteria or the current methodology for accessing SAT performance, verbal scores have never even come close to recovering from their post-1963 decline!

      Thus, while for-example, for-example, for-example, may never rise to the level of absolute proof, it nevertheless tends to reveal a related pattern rather than an unbroken string of unrelated happenstance occurrences.

      Delete
    2. Hello Anonymous,

      Of course you're claiming a causal relationship. You'd said that one event occurred which impacted another event and established the first as the cause. It was the entire point of your first comment.

      I agree with your first paragraph, it was my point in reply above.

      I believe that spanking by parents and paddling by educators used judiciously helps maintain discipline, as do boundaries, consistent expectations, and other factors. But I still register skepticism with your correlation to SAT scores.

      Delete

Post a Comment