They hate Him without cause

We know that many of the Psalms are prophetic. Psalm 83 lists a particular configuration of nations that attack Israel, and that particular configuration has not occurred yet. In Psalm 22, the crucifixion is depicted. We know that David was not crucified so it must be that Jesus is speaking through David in a prayer that's a  forerunner to the actual event. Psalm 69 is again one of those prayers of Christ speaking through David, in part or in whole. Though Psalm 69 could be easily applied to the Christ-type David, most of it can also applied to Christ speaking those words, especially verses 4, 9, 21, bolded here:

 Here are verses Psalm 69:1-12; 22

Save me, O God,         
For the waters have threatened my life.    
I have sunk in deep mire, and there is no foothold;         
I have come into deep waters, and a flood overflows me.    
I am weary with my crying; my throat is parched;        
My eyes fail while I wait for my God.    
4. Those who hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of my head;         
Those who would destroy me are powerful, being wrongfully my enemies;
What I did not steal, I then have to restore.
O God, it is You who knows my folly,         
And my wrongs are not hidden from You.    
May those who wait for You not be ashamed through me, O Lord GOD of hosts;         
May those who seek You not be dishonored through me, O God of Israel,    
Because for Your sake I have borne reproach;        
Dishonor has covered my face.    
I have become estranged from my brothers         
And an alien to my mother's sons.  
9. For zeal for Your house has consumed me,         
And the reproaches of those who reproach You have fallen on me.   
When I wept in my soul with fasting,         
It became my reproach.    
When I made sackcloth my clothing,         
I became a byword to them.    
Those who sit in the gate talk about me,         
And I am the song of the drunkards.
...
21. They also gave me gall for my food And for my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

In Psalm 69 we get a peek at how the Lord was feeling, not just what He was doing or saying as he is recorded in the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

I was moved to think of Him born in a stable, or a cave, laid as a babe to rest in a trough. His humble beginnings carried out through his life, with the Son of Man having no place to lay His head. And to boot, being scorned by drunkards at the gate, and his own half-brothers not believing Him (John 7:5). Just as Psalm 22 begins with humility and ends in exultation, so does Psalm 69.

Now the cross-reference:

Prophesied:
(Psalms 69:4) Those who hate me without a cause Are more than the hairs of my head; They are mighty who would destroy me, Being my enemies wrongfully; Though I have stolen nothing, I still must restore it.

Fulfilled:
(John 15:23-25) "He who hates Me hates My Father also. If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would have no sin; but now they have seen and also hated both Me and My Father. But this happened that the word might be fulfilled which is written in their law, "They hated Me without a cause.'"

Do you hate Him without cause?

Comments