Christianity's other dirty word

I hear this a lot: "Oh, all that end times stuff is so negative" and, "I don't want to read the negative parts, I like to focus on the positive." I wrote the other day about one of the dirty words of Christianity: doctrine. The other dirty word in Christianity lately surfacing is "negative."

People have an idea that reading Revelation, or the sections of books that discuss the end time are 'too negative.' I have a few things to say in response to that attitude, which is becoming a prevailing one.

Hogwash.

If the end time verses are 'too negative,' then that means Old Testament books like Haggai or Zephaniah, Jeremiah or Ezekiel or Micah or Zechariah or...well, most of the Old Testament, is "too negative." Jeremiah preached 60 years without one convert. Most of his proclamations were 'negative.' If someone is too sensitive to read few verses in 1 or 2 Peter, or James, or Matthew, then how are they to stand all of the Old Testament?

More to my personal opinion, though, are my reasons for rejoicing in these scriptures. To me, they are not negative. They are positive. Now before I go further, let me clarify something. After the rapture when the Tribulation begins, it will be a horrible time. The 7 years in which God sends His judgments on the world will be horrible. There is nothing positive to say about that. However, during that time, there will be salvation. There will be grace, in the Two Witnesses and the angels that He sends to proclaim His truth. Those are positive things even in the face of terrible devastation. I don't wish that time on anyone, but it is a fact that millions WILL go through it, including my family and many of my friends, so in that regard I believe it could be a positive if they indeed see the rapture and the Tribulation judgments as works of a Holy God and thus repent. Since they certainly are not repenting now, then the Tribulation could be the positive thing that helps them see their need for our Holy God.

In addition, I rejoice in His:

Justice
God's Holy Character is one that includes love, and light, and joy. But His holy character also includes justice. I rejoice at the knowledge that the end time is a time of His justice. Sin will be wiped from the earth! (Dan 9:24).

Renewal
It will be a time of renewal of all things. (2 Peter 3:10)

Faithfulness
The promises He made long ago to rectify injustice, deal with sin, and to reverse the curse will be upheld! It gives me comfort to see that through his Judgments, His Holy character remains constant over epochs, culminating in these so-called 'negative' verses in the long-ago uttered promises. It shows His is faithful. He won't forget.

Salvation
"And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb." (Rev 7:10) Many will be saved. In the long run, will one or two or three or even 7 years of Tribulation matter in the face of an eternity with Jesus? it is a blink, a statistical nothing compared to the eons the person saved will get to have with him!

Glorification
After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;" (Rev 7:9) Through His grace, we will be glorified in mind, heart, and body.

In sum, here is nothing negative about the end time. Truly, it's all good!

Comments

  1. I like the word hogwash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well expressed. Thank you. Printing and saving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur with anonymous-- that word was a fabulous choice!

    The first time I read Revelation as a born-again Christian, it scared me. And that's saying something, because I had been a witch prior, and when I came to Christ, I realized all my dealings had truly been with demons, not gods or spirit guides, as I had thought. They didn't like me switching teams. There was some frightening moments before I really realized that Jesus was stronger, and evil fled from His holy name.

    Having said that, I pushed through Revelation. It took a couple days, but I did it-- and how overjoyed I was! While it contains the devastation that many will endure, like you said, it is full of God's holiness and His justice and His righteousness. We know the end of the story! We cannot comprehend the beauty and goodness of what is coming in those glorious days when He will wipe every tear from our eyes and when there will be no more curse.

    To me, it is a hopeful subject, one of patient and joyous waiting, as a bride for her husband to fetch her for their wedding celebration!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment