Spiritual warfare is real

I was at some friends' last weekend, at our Sunday School party at their home. After dinner we played a bible trivia game. Here is one of the questions:

"How many angels are named in the bible?" At first blush the answer seems easy. Can you guess? Pause.

Answer: Three. Michael, Gabriel, Lucifer. Most of the teams gave the answer as two, Michael and Gabriel. Those two are easy to remember, but we forget Lucifer, who is that old serpent, satan.

Luke 1:19 we read of the messenger angel Gabriel-
"The angel said to him, “I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news."

In Daniel 10:13 we read of Michael the warrior angel, who is an archangel-
"But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia."

Paul reminds us of the hierarchies of angels, both good and fallen:
"For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:" (Colossians 1:16)

Ephesians 6 is the famous chapter where Paul reminds us that we are in enemy territory here on earth, that the territory has a hierarchy, and that we are always at war, (whether we know it or not):
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." (Ephesians 6:12)

We often forget about Lucifer as an angel, his name means star of the morning, or shining one. Isaiah laments Lucifer's fall from the high holy place of guarding God's throne, to his low position of evil rebel destined for the hell (Matthew 25:41).

Hebrews and Revelation together show us that about a third of the angels fell with Satan. (Hebrews 12:22; Revelation 12:3-9). Hebrews also reminds "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it." (Hebrews 13:2). If angels visit us and engage with us on a personal and even intimate level ('hospitality' translated, "in one's home", "receive as a guest") then who is to say that we are always visited by the good angels? Sometimes we are visited by the bad ones, too. Probably more than sometimes, probably we're visited by them often.

I was in another friend's home the other night, and I mentioned that Dr. David Jeremiah's latest series is on spiritual warfare. She replied, "Oh! I don't even like to think about spiritual warfare!" I was stunned by this, she being a seasoned Christian. I remarked that we are at war whether we like to think about it or not! Because of sin, the earth is a battlefield. Satan and his angels battle for souls every day. 1 John 5:19 tells us that the entire earth is under the control of the evil one. In Luke 4:5-6 satan tempted Jesus in the wilderness, and in one of the temptations, offered Jesus all the kingdoms of the world. Jesus didn't rebuke satan for making that claim.

In Ephesians, Paul tells us to pray and to wear our spiritual armor. 1 Timothy 1:18 Paul tells Timothy to prepare for the battle. 2 Corinthians 10:2-4 describes the kind of war we Christians are in. There is war-like language all throughout the New Testament, referring to the fact that we ARE in a war. It is a spiritual war, but a war that has eternal consequences for each participant.

I was struck by the two incidents this week- the bible trivia question about Lucifer where it was so easy to forget he is really an angel, and the Christian who dismissed spiritual warfare topics as something unsavory she doesn't like to think about. Christian, be aware that we are dwelling in enemy territory, and this is not our home. We are unwanted intruders. We are under attack all the time. Not daily, but frequently and constantly. We are attacked by demons, by our own sin, and by the curse of the world. We are in a war and that war will not be concluded for us individually until we die or are raptured. That war for all of us as a body in Christ will not end until after the 1000 year Kingdom when satan will be let out of the pit, will foment one last war and he will be squashed and sent to the lake of fire forever.


But remember an even greater truth. Unlike every other warrior who ever fought in a war, we know the outcome prior to the war's end! We may be battling, but "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." Jesus won the war for us, on our behalf and in obedience to the Father's will. Jesus is the victor, and through Him we win the war. So, battle on in confidence, but never forget we are in a war. Semper Fi!


Comments

  1. Hi Elizabeth,

    Great post! I totally love the picture you put up.

    I feel like I am constantly under attack. If it is the husband, then it is the son, if not the son then its the daughter and if all goes well in the house then it's my husband work and so on and so on. The attacks let up and things are great, praising and worshiping God then bam!! Hit again.

    The time of our Lord's return is soon and if Satan cannot claim a Christian soul then he will do whatever he can to stop us from spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

    I know of many Christians that don't like to talk about Spiritual Warfare. They change the topic as soon as Satan is mentioned. Sad, this is what it is about. A war in the heavens between God and Satan.

    A timely post for me as it seems the attack is on! Praise God that I am worthy to be attacked for that means I am doing the work of my Lord and I am frustrating Satan.

    Semper Fi

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very uplifting. Exactly what I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was born in Nigeria and spent most of my childhood there. Spiritual Warfare is an extremely, extremely big focus in the life of Nigerian christians. Even as a child, it was very obvious to me and it was just what I thought a christian should be. A prayer warrior constantly seeking God's face and engaging in spiritual warfare. I never ever had an inkling that God, demons, angels and the devil was not real because I had heard and personally encountered demonic attacks and just knew the spiritual world was REAL and SERIOUS. That conviction waned after being raised in the states and as a young adult I actually started questioning the existence of God. I had to encounter demonic attacks before my eyes were re-opened to how intensely the enemy of my soul wanted to destroy me and how intensely My Lord God wanted to save me and save me utterly. My mother, my aunts, my uncles and family friends are prayer warriors. I am convinced the spiritual realm is even more real than ours and without a doubt it is so important that we as Christians are aware of the REAL battle raging in the spiritual realm and that we are more than conquerors through Christ. That if God is for us, who can be against us. As you said, we need to put on the full armor. Without God, I'm convinced I would be dead today. The devil wanted to destroy me but God had other intentions for me....even now the battle still rages but the victory is THE LORD'S!!! Amen! Great post Elizabeth!!!!

    - Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have followed your blog for a few months now and it have been so encouraging and informative. Thank you for your blog and the time and thought you put into it. Thank you for your faithfulness to our Lord. You are encouraging people all over. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Child of God, Last Days Luke, Debbie, and Kate,

    I'm so glad you all are encouraged! Thank you for commenting. CoG, I loved the picture, too. Far from being the silent, meek lamb of the New Testament, in His Second Coming Jesus is the Warrior and will take His rightful place as King before all eyes looking upon Him. THEN they will know He is the LORD!!

    Debbie, thank you for your testimony. The glorious and humbling thing is that when you cried out to be saved, He did so, instantly, didn't He?! He is powerful and so loving. I can't wait for the day He puts all the demons in their place, the Lake of Fire. I'm glad you're saved now and can appreciate the Lord's qualities from this side of the Light :)

    Kate and Luke, it makes all the time I spend worth it to know even one person is encouraged. Thank YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am encouraged by your blog. It is one of the most awesome parts of my daily online life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think my comment went through, but if it did and this is a repeat, I am sorry.

    There's a quote from DL Moody that I really relate to: "I believe Satan to exist for two reasons: first, the Bible says so; and second, I've done business with him."

    At one point in our lives, we all played for the other team; we all worked for the enemy; but not too many people are aware of that. The moment I came to Christ, I already knew there was another side, because for years, I was fooled into thinking it was the RIGHT side.

    Spiritual warfare is real, and it is of vital importance that all Christians are aware of it, and are prepared to stand against the enemy. He prowls about like a roaring lion, but thankfully, as Christians, we have on our side the LION OF JUDAH who has already WON the battle!

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you tell me who painted this picture and where I might find more information?
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,

      The only attribution I could find, and I don't know if it's original to this link, but one person said it came from The Agape Letters, a ministry on Facebook. You can see the picture here at their FB page

      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.195073925582.135893.174203940582&type=3

      Delete

Post a Comment