The flexahexagon will blow your mind

If you enjoy Flatland, Dali's Hypercube Crucifix, and MC Escher's Mobius, you will love the Youtube video by mathematician Vi Hart playing with a flexahexagon.



Robert T Gonzalez wrote about it at io9,

"Remember the first time you saw a Möbius strip (the ring-shaped surface with only one side) and it felt like your world had been turned upside down? The hexaflexagon tends to have a similar effect. Only more so. In this, her latest video, fast-thinking, faster-talking YouTube-maths-wizard Vi Hart presents us with the topologically fascinating hexaflexagon. First discovered in the 1930s by a daydreaming student named Arthur H. Stone, flexagons have attracted the curiosity of great scientists for decades, including Stone's friend and colleague Richard Feynman. Here, the ever-capable Hart introduces the folding, pinching, rotating, multifaceted geometric oddity with her signature brand of rapid-fire wit and exposition. She even shows you how to make your own. Seeing as Hart has dubbed October "The Month of the Flexagon," it sounds like we can look forward to a few more similarly themed videos in the weeks ahead. We'll keep you posted."

[Vi Hart] website

I really did LOL--



Comments

  1. I love it! I always find such things fascinating. Can you imaging how much fun heavenly geometry will be? Personally, I think God loves math. It is amazing all the numbers that God put in the Bible;some of them simple and some pointing at the very complex. It is also awesome all the patterns that can be found in numbers from Fibonacci's numbers to biblical numerics. Numbers are just another way that God has declared his glory on earth. Praise be to the Almighty! Thanks for the fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! That VI Hart gal sure is witty. And it made me mad with curiosity for how flexahexagons work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the flexahaxagons!!! They are AWESOME. I was making one for my mathematician repot on Galois, and I couldn't help but make so many. I kept playing with the flexahexagons. I even brought them in bed!!! I think I will make these for my family for Christmas!!! They are SOOO AWWEEEEESSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment