The Weary Christian Must Rest Upon Christ

Erin Benziger posted this yesterday and it is encouraging in the extreme. I re-post it in hopes that you will also be encouraged in these weary times.

Then Jesus said, "Come to Me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)
 
J.C. Philpot
The Lord's purpose in laying burdens upon us is to weary us out. We cannot learn our religion in any other way. We cannot learn it from the Bible, nor from the experience of others. It must be a personal work, wrought in the heart of each; and we must be brought, all of us, if ever we are to find rest in Christ, to be absolutely wearied out of sin and self, and to have no righteousness, goodness, or holiness of our own.

The effect, then, of all spiritual labor is to bring us to this point: to be weary of the world, for we feel it, for the most part, to be a valley of tears; to be weary of self, for it is our greatest plague; weary of professors, for we cannot see in them the grace of God, which alone we prize and value; weary of the profane, for their ungodly conversation only hurts our minds; weary of our bodies, for they are often full of sickness and pain, and always clogs to our soul; and weary of life, for we see the emptiness of those things which to most people make life so agreeable.

By this painful experience we come to this point: to be worn out and wearied; and there we must come, before we can rest entirely on Christ.

As long as we can rest in the world, we shall rest in it. As long as the things of time and sense can gratify us, we shall be gratified in them. As long as we can find anything pleasing in self, we shall be pleased with it. As long as anything visible and tangible can satisfy us, we shall be satisfied with them.

But when we get weary of all things visible, tangible, and sensible--weary of ourselves, and of all things here below--then we want to rest upon Christ, and Christ alone.

— J.C. Philpot, "The Laborer's Rest"

Comments

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my personal experience, all growth has been extremely rapid.

    Just 2 months at most after being born again, though I say it is my understanding/wisdom I know that in fact it is Jesus who understands and tells me the truth through the Holy Spirit.

    Most people may see these results after many years, but I do know that God knows best, perhaps rapid is best for me. Or even required considering the little time we have left!

    My heart has changed, my mind has changed, I examine myself and see good fruit (which is a sign showing that I am saved, not human effort doing good works) I have become extremely sensitive to sin.

    And, though I have moments of tremendous testing, falling out of belief almost entirely, simply not understanding what God wants, etc.

    The main thing I have learned is that Jesus wants me to lean on Him, it's not my strength or understanding or wisdom, or effort, or goodness, but instead (thankfully!) it is His.

    the very next verse after the one you referenced in matthew =)

    Matthew 11:29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

    both versions of the next seem valid

    NIV Psalm 68:19 Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens. Selah

    KJV Psalm 68:19 Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. Selah.

    Remember dear brethren that the righteous will live by faith.

    2 Corinthians 5:7 We live by faith, not by sight.

    Also, trials are blessings, in the pain they may give, they also give great gain in faith.

    thanks elizabeth for another great post, exactly what I needed to hear.

    -I suppose I could at least start including my name

    Drew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drew! I was buoyed when Erin Benziger posted it so I thought...why not bless more people and pay it forward?

      Delete
  3. This helps immensely, thanks so much! God bless us!

    J.L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very interesting post. I too have been experiencing some difficult times over the past couple months that has really made me weary and worn. During my walk with God I have tried to reason out and solve my own problems. This one has allowed me to depend solely on God.

    I believe God is directing my focus to look to Him and less to the world and its offerings.

    If I never had a problem I wouldn't know that God could solve them. I will stand still and see the salavtion of the Lord.

    Just found this site. Its very interesting and informative.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment