Laodicean church- hot, lukewarm, cold

I am listening to Todd Friel's lecture 56 of Drive By Discernment. The theme is, "How people and movements can drift away from the truth".

Art Azurdia was the speaker in this particular lecture and he talked of Dr. Paul Hiebert.

Dr. Paul Hiebert was a Doctor of Missiology at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, and missionary for 6 years under the Mennonite Brethren Board of Missions. Azurdia explained,
"Hiebert said that the first generation of Mennonites were a people preoccupied with the Gospel and concerned with some social responsibility. The second generation of Mennonites assumed the Gospel, and became increasingly absorbed with social responsibility. The third generation of Mennonites abandoned the Gospel and was consequently altogether was completely preoccupied with social responsibility. Preoccupied. Assumed. Abandoned."
That pattern reminded me of the verse in Revelation 3:15-16,

"‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth."

Hot. Lukewarm. Cold.
(Preoccupied. Assumed. Abandoned.)

I wonder where you believe we are in that pattern? Azurdia's answer was, "Any fair assessment of the evangelical community at least in the United States would have to say, using by description Hiebert's Mennonite-isms, we are at that second stage of assuming the Gospel, and only one generation away from abandoning it."

He went on in the lecture to describe the many churches he has guest preached in have had a long absence of preaching about sin. If there is no talk of sin, the Gospel is not presented, Azurdia said.

Just because a sermon or conference or gathering mentions Jesus, does not mean that the Gospel is presented. Azurdia asked, "How does it happen that the Gospel of Jesus Christ gets lost inside of a ministry that at least by confession proclaims its intention to promote the glory of God and the conversion of the nations?"

Jesus asked, "Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?”" (Luke 18:8b)

Come soon, Lord Jesus!

Comments

  1. How do you make hot water luke warm? By pouring the opposite into it. That is what satan has done in America's churches and EVERY single one of them has allowed it to some level. Either by placing themselves under governmental authority through tax exempt status which by the way seeks to circumvent the Lord's direction to render to Caesar what is due him. To satanic influence in adding or subtracting from the truth of God's Holy Word.
    Picking and choosing which truths you are going to adhere to is not obedience.

    Matthew 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

    18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

    19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, Amen on all of that!!! Did you watch the documentary called "The Church of the Tares"? I think that identifies where a lot of the problems in the "church" began. But you know what, the true born from above church of Our Lord Jesus Christ, will be faithful because He makes us faithful. I get so worried when I see what is going on but I know that He is in control. He has His sheep in his hand and none will be lost. He has chosen us, called us, justified us, sanctified us and when we get our glorified bodies, we will be complete!!Romans 8:28-39.
    Our calling is to preach the Gospel and those who accept it do so because God does it.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, reading your blog has been a blessing to me, Elizabeth! Thank you for this. "How people and movements can drift away from the truth". Oh this weak flesh of mine! I have found over the years that I am susceptible to "drifting".
    He has allowed this "drifting" though and used it to show me that I cannot trust my flesh as a guide. He is the One who has been leading me all along, allowing me to wander into following people and the various "movements" of this world. Isn't this allowed as part of the training/growing process?
    He is Faithful to draw those of us having His Spirit out and to follow Him though. If we are truly one of His sheep, it is impossible to follow the false shepherd. The true sheep will only follow the True Shepherd. John 10:4,5,27

    Pam, I am just beginning to watch The Church of the Tares now. I'm assuming it is by Elliot Nesch. I'm looking forward to it.

    You said: "But you know what, the true born from above church of Our Lord Jesus Christ, will be faithful because He makes us faithful." AMEN!!

    In Him,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shannon, you are correct, it is Elliot Nesch. It is long, but even if you have to watch it in segments ,it is worth it.
    Isn't it awesome to know that we are accepted in the Beloved?
    I'm sure that Elizabeth wouldn't mind me recommending the study of the Book of John that Pastor Jim McClarty does over at salvationbygrace.org. Just get your Bible, a pen and click on Listen. Then go to Book of John.
    Blessings to you!!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon and Pam, for exchanging good thoughts on biblically solid preachers like McClarty.

      I have not seen the video on Church of the Tares (2 hours) but I will take a gander this weekend. Meanwhile, I'll put in a shameless plug for this essay I write in Oct 2012, about the winnowing and the false wheat. If you're interested in the metaphor of the wheat and the tares you might like this one--
      http://the-end-time.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-winnowing-is-about-to-begin.html

      Delete
    2. Oh gosh, Elizabeth, you have to watch The Church of the Tares! I would love to know what you think.
      Thanks,
      Pam

      Delete
  5. Excellent post Elizabeth Prata.

    wisdom tells me that revivals are usually associated with great repentance. Not how good it's going to be for me

    God's holiness is (the) standard against which human sin is exposed and we cannot know His standard unless we faithfully preach God's WORD and the Gospel. Our SIN needs to be exposed against the shining, glorious background of God's holiness. "Without HOLINESS no one will see the Lord"-Heb.12:14b

    As long as people refuse to deal with sin then they will never meet with a Holy God -and there will be no genuine Revival.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment