"Birds make me laugh"

The cafeteria at school is crowded with first and second graders. It is full, and it is loud. VERY loud. It has to be, with nearly 200 children talking even at a normal level, trays banging, feet shuffling, and forks tinkling.

There is this first grade boy who is quiet. He doesn't speak much, and when he does it is in a soft-spoken voice. He is sensitive and artistic. He has a kind heart and loving eyes.

He raised his hand today and he had something to say. I came over, expecting him to ask me the usual, please open my ketchup packet, or I dropped my fork and I need another. Instead he said,

"I saw birds at my house."
"What kind of birds did you see?"
"I saw a blue jay!" he said happily. "I saw a robin, and a red bird, and crows." He looked very pleased about this.
I said, "The red bird is a cardinal."
"OH! I saw ducks too. We have a pond. And some other birds I forgot."
"Yes, ducks are birds. What do you like about birds?"

"Birds make me laugh."

To be touched by the simplicity and beauty of birds singing and flying about your yard is, to me, a response to the Creator in childlike faith.

A childlike faith means that the child sees the wonder of God as the bible says. Children intuitively understand the connection of creation to the Creator.

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse." (Romans 1:20)

Even as the creation groans for its Creator, it still does what it is supposed to do- bring Him glory. And they do it.

“But ask the beasts, and they will teach you;
the birds of the heavens, and they will tell you;
or the bushes of the earth, and they will teach you;
and the fish of the sea will declare to you.
Who among all these does not know
that the hand of the Lord has done this? (Job 12:7-8)

Comments

  1. My son, who is 5th grade, also is quiet in large groups. Thanks for paying attention to all of the kids, including the quiet ones. It means so much. He has a teacher this year who is a very strong Christian. She listens to him too. It's been a wonderful thing to see him grow. That interaction may not seem like much. But, it is.

    Diana

    Ps. - funny thing, he loves, loves, loves birds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, starlings might be the exception. They are so dog-gone messy!!! They want to take over my porches every spring and dive bomb us when we walk out the door. At that point, we look funnier than the birds, arms flailing and all.
    I do love the wonder of nature and how it makes me reflect on our Creator, though!!!!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birds are a part of creation which brings my wife and me much pleasure. We have feeders all around the house to attract as many types as possible, and they are indeed a wonder to behold. During late fall through early spring, we even get sharp-shinned hawks at our feeder - but they eat the smaller birds rather than bird food. But they are such beautiful birds to watch and admire. This morning we had great pleasure in seeing a Baltimore Oriole visit for a short time - a type we rarely see. It was such a joy. And children are usually the ones who see the joy in such creatures while adults take them for granted; sad, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoy them also, even the hawks. My husband and I lived on a lake with many tall pines at water's edge. Every year ducklings would hatch (and loons too) and at the beginning of the spring a mama duck would have five ducklings trailing her, then 4, then 3...we watched in fascinated horror one day as the culprit sat on one of the lower branches that hung over the water. It was a young hawk, on a branch low enough he could handle and high enough not to be observed by the mama. He repeatedly dive bombed the baby ducklings- unsuccessfully that day. But we knew that eventually he or his siblings would be good enough to have one for supper, as the diminishing numbers eventually showed. I know he was doing what he had to do and it was a wonder to watch his patience, his timing and his strong wings. But I can't wait for the curse to be over!

      Delete
    2. I also can not wait for the curse to be over. Makes my longing even more fervent. To see His creation is an ongoing joy---but to see the struggle is tough.

      Delete
  4. Thank you! This is just lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pensive, You're welcome. It was a nice oasis in the middle of a busy day for me also.

      Delete

Post a Comment