The rainbow in my avatar

Some people have asked about my avatar on Google Plus. Here it is.


Every month, blogger and book reviewer Tim Challies posts free wallpapers for Christians. One month several years ago this was one of the choices. I downloaded it and decided to use it as my avatar.

I wanted the cross in my avatar. In this scene, I liked the colorful aspect of it. Often times avatars with crosses are drab. The rainbow reminded me of the covenant in Genesis 9:8-17.

Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him, 9“Behold, I establish my covenant with you and your offspring after you, 10and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the livestock, and every beast of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark; it is for every beast of the earth. 11I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth.” 12And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: 13I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, 15I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.” 17God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant that I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth.”

God spent a great deal of time explaining the covenant and the rainbow. It's important.

But now comes Jesus Christ, "High Priest of a Better Covenant" (Hebrews 8).

There is another scene with a rainbow that I enjoy thinking of. Revelation 2:4-6,

and behold, a throne stood in heaven, with one seated on the throne. 3And he who sat there had the appearance of jasper and carnelian, and around the throne was a rainbow that had the appearance of an emerald. 4Around the throne were twenty-four thrones, and seated on the thrones were twenty-four elders, clothed in white garments, with golden crowns on their heads. 5From the throne came flashes of lightning, and rumblings and peals of thunder, and before the throne were burning seven torches of fire, which are the seven spirits of God, 6and before the throne there was as it were a sea of glass, like crystal.


It is a powerful, powerful scene.

The rainbow in the avatar also reminds me of life. The life blood coming from Jesus and how He brought life to all flesh, if they repent and believe. It also reminds me that Jesus is alive, He is a living God.

The rainbow has nothing to do with the homosexual emblem. Don't think culturally, think biblically. Don't be afraid to take back and boldly use, or 'proudly' declare, the things of God as the things of God. The gay lobby can drive the cultural narrative all they want, but they cannot have the rainbow. That was given to believers by God and the gay lobby cannot have it.

So that is the story of the avatar. I'm astounded that over 12 million people have looked at my profile on Google plus. If several have asked then no doubt others have also wondered. Here is the answer. :)


Comments

  1. With the Cross in the picture, it's pretty hard for anyone to consider it a homosexual symbol.

    I wonder if there are other symbols we can do the same with.. combine their imagery with the Cross, not so as to suggest that they are all (necessarily) of equal import (American flag, for example), but to imply that they are in subjection to the Cross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. www.gaychristian101.com God gave the rainbow to all of mankind as a promise not to flood the earth again. He made gays to test and see if Christians really will love their neighbors. Our only agenda is equality. Even Jesus was for that, remember? "Do unto others as you'd have done to yourself" Matthew 7:12 God is big enough to share the colors of the rainbow with the gays. We don't own it, we share it with all who come in peace and love. Sad that so much of the church hates us without a reason. "My people perish for their ignorance" Hosea 4:6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tom,

      Yes it is stated in the Bible that God made the rainbow for the reason you mentioned, Genesis 9:13-17

      He did not "make gays." He made people, who are sinners. Your flavor of sin is sodomy. He expects us to love people enough to share the Gospel with them. He did not make gays to test and see how much we love our neighbor. Loving our neighbor does not mean accepting their sin. Homosexuality is a sin, for which you will not go to heaven if you persist. All sinners will go to hell if they do not repent of their sin. Drunks, revilers, gossips, adulterers, liars, and the like.

      No you do not come in peace and love, either. You are sinning, and sinners are at war with Jesus.

      For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot.Rom 8:7

      You adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore, whoever chooses to be a friend of the world renders himself an enemy of God. James 4:4

      Please repent to the Jesus who came to earth and lived a sinless life, was beaten, mocked and scorned, executed on the tree, absorbed all of God's wrath for sin, died, and then three days later rose again. If you repent, He will wash you clean. Persist in homosexuality, and you will die in your sin.

      Delete

Post a Comment