The Onion hilarity, bible study fellowship recipes, a scientist's agitation, Drive By Theology, WWUTT?

Thursday is grocery shopping day. I want to go early since it is supposed to be very hot and my car AC doesn't work anymore. My usual routine is suspended for today, so no deep theological thoughts. :) Here are a few things for your consideration.

I have Bible study in my home. Here are two recipes I enjoy making in order to have something on hand to serve the guests. My mama taught me that. She taught me manners and hospitality. It is a dying art, I think. I like these 2 recipes because they are inexpensive, use only a few ingredients, are easy to make, and are low calorie. They also cook fast, something to consider in hot Georgia during the summer.

Banana Oatmeal 'cookies'
These are gluten free and sugar free. Though the recipe calls for a small bit of sugar, I omit it. I use banana, oatmeal, raisins, and sunflower seeds. That's it. They are tasty and filling.

The write-up says, "I’d very loosely call these treats cookies. Why? The recipe is basically two ingredients, oats and bananas, plus a few add-ins. Also, it’s pretty healthy. Probably with my add-ins they’re only about 40 calories each, but don’t let that scare you. These “cookies” are actually very tasty, like baked banana oatmeal in portable form."

Two-Ingredient Angel Food Pineapple Cake
This recipe uses a box angel food cake and a 20 ounce can crushed pineapple, in its own juice. That's it. Don't even grease the pan, the cake won't rise. I stir the the ingredients together by hand and let sit for 2-3 minutes. It froths up. Then pour into a baking dish. I use a 13-inch glass dish. Bake for the allotted time and that is it! Top with Cook Whip if desired, or fresh fruit.

As far as beverages go, I never have any that other people enjoy on hand. I don't drink sodas or juice because of the sugar. I do always have a jug of cold water in the fridge and usually a jug or two of chilled herb tea. Chilled green tea with lemon is refreshing to serve. I know most people down south drink 'sweet tea' but I just can't serve that. It's gross.

As a person who studies prophecy and has from the beginning of her Christian walk been interested in last things, I found this spoof-news piece from The Onion laugh out loud funny. I mean, I laughed hard from my gut.

Experts Say Best Option Now Is Keeping Nation As Comfortable As Possible Till End
WASHINGTON—Saying there were no other options remaining and that continued intervention would only prolong the nation’s suffering, experts concluded Tuesday that the best course of action is to keep the United States as comfortable as possible until the end.

According to those familiar with its condition, the country’s long, painful decline over the past several decades has made it clear that the most compassionate choice at this juncture is to do whatever is possible to ensure America is at ease during its last moments.

“We need to accept the fact that the U.S. doesn’t have long—simply helping it pass that time in comfort is the humane thing to do,” said economist Danielle Martin, speaking on behalf of a large group of experts ranging from sociologists and historians to lawmakers and environmentalists, all of whom confirmed they had “done everything [they] could.” “Attempting to stabilize the country in its current enfeebled state would not only be extremely expensive, but it would also cause unnecessary agony as it enters this final stage. With how hard the nation is struggling to perform even basic functions, letting it meet its end naturally is the merciful decision here.”
More at the link.

Here is a new site I found. It is WWUTT, or "When We Understand The Text". WWUTT is the creation of Pastor Gabriel Hughes from First Southern Baptist Church in Junction City, KS. Their 90-second video about Altar Calls is very good. Their statement says the videos are made to share, so if you enjoy this one and agree then go for it, share away.




Todd Friel of Wretched.com has a new series out. It's actually an update of an old series, called "Drive By." I own and have listened to Drive By Discernment and Drive By Pneumatology. I've listened to DBD twice, actually. It's really good. The Drive By series is so named because the series contains numerous lectures about the topic which can be listened to on your commute to work. Each lecture is only 7-11 minutes long but are doctrinally solid. Many contributors speak on the series so there are a variety of voices. This newly updated one is Drive By Theology. It features Friel as host and Dr Steven J. Lawson.

I don't drive anywhere and my commute to work is a short 10 minutes, but I listen to these when I cook or do the dishes or craft at home, so it's perfect for busy homschooling moms, too. The series is an excellent way to get an education without commuting to seminary or spending lots of money.

You can purchase them by downloading immediately to your computer or ordering a CD/DVD. They are affordable, usually between $15 and $25 for 35-70 lectures. I recommend the series. If you are a pastor who has a person in your congregation who wants to study more but is frustrated by time limits either because they work outside the home or are a busy mother or caretaker, this is a perfect series. I should say that the lectures are doctrinally solid without being dense or difficult to understand. Makes a great gift. I plan to buy the Theology package in 2 weeks. I can't wait!!

Erik Klemetti is a Professor of Geology who specializes in volcanology. He also has taken on the journalism world for the frequent false, misleading, or hyperbolic reporting on science topics. I feel his pain. As a former journalist I know for a fact that we stumble on science and fail almost always on math/economics reporting. Here Dr Klemetti is frustrated with a Russia Today news piece on the newly active volcano Sinabung in Northern Sumatra.

Now this is a difficult issue. With most science reporting there is a decided bias against a creationist perspective. This is to be expected. However too many Christians display a lack of maturity when it comes to pressing repeat or 'like' or retweet on science that is hyperbolic and just plain wrong. Much of the Ark discovery news in the Turkish mountains is one example.

There are some things that are true about the article but I was perplexed as to what exactly was untrue. Someone asked the same question and Klemetti said what was reported was "not a likely scenario at all regarding Toba". No further specifics were given.

Now it's true that a volcano can rain down hell, volcanic sulfur gas and ash is part of the eruption. (And God can make sulfur rain down at any time as we learned from Sodom in Genesis 19:24). It's true that volcanoes can cause a nuclear winter and they will do so again (it's likely volcanic activity that is referenced in Rev 6:12). Though the article throws the specter of near-extinction of humans, it is true that in the Tribulation no flesh would survive if Jesus doesn't come back before everyone dies. But scientists don't know that, or they don't believe it if they do know.

Dr Klemetti's concern with the article is that the kind of eruption the reporter described is not likely for the kind of volcano Sinabung is. However we know that the earth is the Lord's and He can make the ground open up where there is no earthquake fault. He can make mountains melt like wax and He can make all the islands sink under the ocean. Klemetti's frustration is legitimate because many reporters aren't careful with the science facts. However the frustration he feels and all scientists feel only increase as the Lord increasingly demonstrates that He is in charge of the earth. A third of the sun will go dark, pestilence will sweep away most of the population very quickly, Israel will be supernaturally protected from military destruction, demons will emerge from the abyss, a third of all waters will turn to blood, and third of all grasses will burn up, the sun will be so hot people would combust if they stayed outside, and more. Science will not be able to explain these coming things.

More than one scientist will be saying "no, no, no, no, no, no..."

One last thing. Check out Adam Ford's (Adam4D) cartoons. He has been on a roll lately. Like with this one

Creflo's Jet

And "Who's The Bigot?"

And I really liked "Locusts"

I'll leave you with a good word from Paul-

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)

Comments

  1. Creflo's new song?

    O "lord" won't you buy me a brand new Gulfstream?
    My critics are jealous and all rant and scream!
    Worked hard to be blessed so that I'll have my dream!
    So "lord" won't you buy me a brand new Gulfstream!

    Talk about making merchandise of people...

    -Carolyn

    PS: and yes, this song is a parody...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment