An encouragement on fixing our eyes on Jesus

Our Church is Reformed Confessing. Prior to the sermon, we have a time of confessional led by one of our Elders. We have 4 elders. One is the main teaching elder, though any of the men can teach at the pulpit. The other three men rotate in leading the confessional. The Confessional-teaching elder gives a short talk based on what the upcoming sermon will be and then stands silently as we individually confess and repent in our pews. Then he closes in an audible prayer. I appreciate the opportunity to set my heart and mind aright, and to confess, particularly when it's a Lord's Table Sunday.

This past Sunday, our elder gave  a confessional talk that had so many wonderful points. Well, each week the confessional is always good, but this week I really enjoyed some things that stood out to me. I'm paraphrasing, but

If You want to look like Jesus, look at Jesus.

Our elder made the statement that we should fix our gaze upon Jesus, not the latest comedy or sports teams. I ended up focusing on the phrase "fix your eyes upon Jesus" from Hebrews 12:2. I looked up the word "fix" and the Strong's says
872 aphoráō (from 575 /apó, "away from" and 3708 /horáō, "see") – properly, "looking away from all else, to fix one's gaze upon" (Abbott-Smith).
How helpful. I should not glance, not peek, not glimpse, but FIX my GAZE upon him, looking away from all else and steadily drinking in all that He is.

I need to spend more time with Jesus to look more like Him. What a great line. Moses only got to see God's 'back' and His face after being with God was so bright it had to be veiled. We have the privilege of looking at Jesus' "face" as it were, through His word. I want my face to be shining, to have my being conformed to Him, to have my mind transformed. But it won't happen unless I read the Bible.

I was convicted because I found a new comedy that I got involved in binging this week and let my Bible reading go. I excused it by saying I was tired from the last week of school. All I wanted to do when I get home in this record heat was plop down and not think. But it's not an excuse. Not at all. I must look away from all other distractions and FIX my GAZE on Jesus. A Bible skim won't even do.

If you're interested in hearing the Confessional, here it is, in all its 13 minute power. I pray it convicts you as it did me, in some way that will honor and glorify the Lord as a result. I know what I'm going to be doing when I get home.

May 13, 2018
We become like what we behold.







Comments

  1. "And the things of earth will grow strangely dim/In the light of His glory and grace."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Figured I wasn't the only one whose mind immediately went to that great hymn!

      -Carolyn

      Delete
  2. Amen! Just listened to the Confessional. Thank-you for sharing, Elizabeth. What a great reminder to continually gaze upon our Lord through the glory of His written Word.
    Like Amy Carmichael prayed, I too, pray that all the distractions of this world would grow silent and the deafening display of power at the cross would ring loudly in our hearts, throughout our every day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment