"You're so arrogant to think that...!"

By Elizabeth Prata

If you have been in the faith for more than a minute, you are aware that when we share the Gospel or defend the faith by saying Jesus is the only way to God, people hurl the accusation of "Arrogant!" "You're so arrogant to think that!" I know I have been on the receiving end of that accusation, and I've seen it happen to others.

RC Sproul preached about a time when he was first saved and then went to college, and his Professor said it was arrogant to believe that God would make only one way to heaven. Of course, being RC, his defense of that accusation is beautiful and God-honoring. His response is also logical. It brought tears to my eyes and made me think for a long time.

In thinking, it occurred to me that the arrogance is not on the side of the Christian sharing the one and only way to heaven, which is through Jesus (John 14:6).

Pagans (and I was one for 42 years myself) on the whole, believe that there is a heaven. People generally believe that it's perfect and beautiful and there will be no strife or anything to interrupt their eternal drift. They think that because they are a pretty good person, that when they die, they'll go there. As far as the unsaved person's thinking goes, that's usually as deep as they go into the topic.

Sometimes they think that their works will get them there. I personally know someone who has said to me, "I'm on the (false) church board and I do good in the community and I'm a good person," she said when I asked her to share her thoughts on the afterlife. Lots of people think the same way. They give to a charity or they serve the homeless or because they're a deacon, those or other works they perform will be the ticket into heaven.

Here's the question: Isn't it arrogant to think that the works you do will bring you to heaven? The works done from a fleshly mind the same mind that thinks perverted thoughts or mentally proposes violence against a neighbor or nurses grudges or gossips against a fellow? Isn't it arrogant to believe that our own self is beautful enough to go to the most beautiful place?

Yes, that's the true arrogance.


Comments

  1. Such a good point! I googled RC's response...going to watch it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Great. I'm sorry I forgot to link to the sermon where he explained it.

      Delete
  2. The exclusivity of Christ. The offense of the gospel. It demands a response. One of broken-ness and humility, or self righteousness and pride, or increasingly, indifference.

    Certainly only one response leads to repentance and salvation. "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

    Hebrews 4:12-13 help us in our understanding of what happens in the human heart.

    The question is when to hang in there and pray and continue our witness and when to shake off the dust of our feet and move on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good question, B&KLindeman. I struggle with that too. I also pray and rely on the Spirit and He settles me and convicts my soul as to when to keep persevering in the proffering of Godly things, and when to move on. A huge clue for me is when I see someone entrenching themselves further into their stance, their sin, or their behavior, I stop. Like Pharaoh hardened his heart then eventually God did.

      Delete

Post a Comment