How did they react when they saw Jesus?

By Elizabeth Prata

Jesus is the God-Man. He is fully God and fully Man. I don't understand how that works (known as the hypostatic union). No one does. It's a mystery of God.

As a man, He is comfort, friend, brother. John the disciple leaned on Jesus' bosom at the last supper. (John 13:25). Cozy. He wants to gather His children and protect them as a hen does her chicks. (Matthew 23:37). Tender.

In recent decades, excessive focus has been given to that particular aspect of Jesus, the Man. But then 'Man' devolved into 'boyfriend'. This has allowed a skew of sinful familiarity to penetrate women's minds, ministries, and material.

The Jesus that John leaned up against is now ruling and reigning. He is still our friend, our brother, our gatherer and protector, but He is also GOD. What was the reaction of Peter when he realized who Jesus was?

But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord." (Luke 5:8).

What happened when John of Patmos turned and saw who was speaking to him?

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. (Revelation 1:17)

What happened when Isaiah saw the pre-incarnate Christ in his vision?

"Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!" (Isaiah 6:5).

What happened when Job finally understood who he was compared to God?

therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes. (Job 42:6)

What happened when the people of the Tribulation when they understood His power? They were

calling to the mountains and rocks, "Fall on us and hide us from the face of him who is seated on the throne,..." (Revelation 6:16).

What happened to the Hebrews who had been led out of Egypt by Jesus as the Pillar of Fire?

Now when all the people saw the thunder and the flashes of lightning and the sound of the trumpet and the mountain smoking, the people were afraid and trembled, and they stood far off 19and said to Moses, "You speak to us, and we will listen; but do not let God speak to us, lest we die." (Exodus 20:18-19).

Jesus is GOD. He is Man but He is GOD. He is friend but He is GOD. He is not our buddy, He is not our pal. We are friendly with Him as saved sinners, but we are never casual. We approach boldly but never irreverently.

Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul. (3 John 1:2).


Comments