God will take care of us

By Elizabeth Prata

I spent a lot of time outside yesterday watching the birds. There is an Eastern Phoebe nest under the awning at the patio, a Carolina wren nest in the underhang, and another wren nest at the other side of the lawn in the big birdhouse.

I watched the mom of that one go back and forth incessantly, bringing food to her babies. I'd hear the baby's racket inside the birdhouse and I'd know that the mom was back with another bug. She always swooped around looking for a tasty insect and was never disappointed. She always had enough to feed her babies.


The mama would fly off, and soon return with a bug, but not fly directly to the birdhouse. She would pause in a nearby branch, presumably to ensure that no predators were nearby. Then she'd quickly light on the birdhouse. I wanted to snap a photo of this process. I soon learned I did not have to keep my eyes glued to the birdhouse because when the mom landed, the inside of the house would erupt with chirps, lol. and I'd hear the racket. Chirp! Chirp! Chirp!

The Lord takes care of them. They have food. Jesus was hungry often, (Mark 11:12, Mt 12:1), but God feeds the birds. Jesus had no place to lay His head but the birds have a nest.

And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." (Matthew 8:20).

How He takes care of us! Not only meeting our physical needs but interceding for us in heaven and in prayer! We are so blessed to have been given the grace to repent. And being in Him, we are secure in knowledge that He will provide what He knows we need.

He clothes the grass with wildflowers.

26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? 28 And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29 yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. (Matthew 6:26-34)


Comments

  1. Many years ago, when I was a new believer, I met an elderly widow in our church who didn't get many visitors. My preschool-age son and I started visiting her, and we grew to love her screened-in back porch, which was high off the ground in the tree tops. There she had what seemed like dozens of bird feeders, and my young son had to learn to be very quiet out there so as to not scare the birds. :) I memorized a poem for this lovely widow during this time:

    Let us learn, like a bird,
    for a moment to take
    Sweet rest upon a branch
    that is ready to break.
    She feels the branch breaking,
    yet calmly she sings...
    Why fear? Why tremble?
    She has wings.

    I actually thought about that poem this morning while I was in the grocery store...everything is so strange these days...but I don't have to worry about everything breaking around me or under me, because underneath are the Everlasting Arms!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment